We were invited this weekend to ride the rails at the Chuggington Event at the Catskill Mountain Railroad in Kingston, NY. My boys are huge train aficionados and the look on their faces when the train pulled up and whistled it’s horn was truly priceless. On the train they loved hearing the familiar voices of Wilson, Brewester and KoKo and having them come to life at the after show was thrilling for even the adults! One of my favorite parts though was how the entire event was pulled together. They pulled story lines from the popular Disney channel show in order to create a space that was simply magical for the kids. My youngest is still talking about KoKo’s surprise party!
In Top 10 fashion, here are my 10 favorite parts of the event:
1. Activities for the kids- Around the field are fun challenges and activities for the kids. There are 3 challenges in particular the kids earn a colored Chuggington bracelet at each. The others include bubbles, face painting, food, tattoos and music. All are free with a “tips” jar 😉
2. The train ride- We have been on others that were just back and forth in the train yard. We were on the train here for about 30 minutes. There was staff on the cars who encouraged participation with the on going theme and the voices and music from the show played through the speakers. Towards the end, the kids received hats and blowers for KoKo’s surprise party! I suggest getting tickets for the covered flat for the best seats.
3. Music- I might still be singing the words to the catchy theme song!
4. My oldest’ favorite spot was the train table. There was plenty to play with and the friendly staff were wonderful playing with him. There is a ‘toy store’ on site filled with Chuggington train sets, books, movies and more if you want to bring the fun home.
5. The activities were all free! We skipped on the face painting but the boys are still proudly showing off their tattoos!
6. We spent quite a bit of time in the music tent. There were plenty of ways to make music and the woman singing was awesome and super friendly!
7. The firetruck was another big hit! My youngest was thrilled with the chance to climb aboard, ring the bell and pretend to put out fires. I love when communities get together and support each other to put on a great event.
8. We were there so long we needed lunch. We were able to choose from pizza or grilled burgers and hot dogs for an inexpensive, family friendly bite to eat.
9. You can easily spend an entire day in the area. We spent three hours at the Chugginton event, and skipped quite a few things. We also received a ticket with discounts for other local places around town and could have spent a few more hours in the area before heading home.
10. There is only 1 weekend left to ride the rails!
Trains run every hour from 10am until 4pm. Plan to spend 2-3 hours.
Tickets are $19 a person.
Advance tickets are required, as seating is limited. All trains depart from Westbook Station at Kingston Plaza.
Disclaimer – The author of this blog received tickets to Catskill Mountain Railroad to help facilitate this review as a resource for Hudson Valley Parent readers in conjunction with places to go. No other compensation was received for this post.